As if I need any more “green” on my plate, I found a new, natural, healthy and beautiful sea- green food coloring….
Why, spirulina, of course! Hawaiian spirulina, to be exact
I’ve definitely had spirulina in products it was added to, such as protein powders, bottled smoothies, nutrition energy bars, cereals, etc. But I’ve never gotten around to using the powder on it’s own. I finally did, after seeing it sold at my local health food stores bulk aisle. I was pretty excited it was being sold bulk, but not at the $45.99/ lb price-tag
- “Spirulina has 2300% more iron than spinach
- Spirulina has 3900% more beta carotene than carrots
- Spirulina has 300% more calcium than whole milk
- Spirulina has 375% more protein than tofu
- Comparing phytonutrient levels, Spirulina is 31 times more potent than blueberries and 60 times more potent than spinach!” Source
Like with my Green coconut- avocado smoothie…
- 1 cup almond milk (coconut milk would be even more yummy!)
- 1 scoop sun warrior (or protein powder of choice)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 2 big handfuls spinach
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon spirulina powder (I used Hawaiian spirulina)
- 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
- Stevia, to taste, or sweetener of choice
Blend all ingredients till smooth and creamy, adding more liquid if you don’t have a high speed blender, such as my Vitamix. Add liquids firsts, then powders, then fruits and veggies.
I also tried stirring spirulina into my greek yogurt for my morning yogurt parfait. Yes, I dig green- colored yogurt. I guess I’m just weird like that.
*I forgot to announce I got a new parfait glass. Many thanks to Crate and Barrel
*I lied. I didn’t use ancient grain’s granola, rather I used a crumbled super charge me cookie leftover from ones I baked the previous day for a party. It was amazing!
Best yogurt parfait in awhile, I never knew spirulina could give such an amazing benefit not only taste wise, but color and nutrition, too!
Have you ever used ground, powered spirulina before? What do you like to use it in, and how much? Suggestions are recommended, as I’m quite new to this potent, super food.
Happy Wednesday, all! Let it be a good one….